We found this recipe at Florida Department of Citrus and fell in love with the idea of trying a new shrimp recipe. It’s a great protein option to red meat and fantastic in all climates, all year long. Using this recipe featuring Indian River Select® Brand Orange Juice. This would be a great time to try this as an appetizer for your Valentines meal!
- 18 head-on Shrimp, U-7
- 1 ½ cups Indian River Select® Brand orange juice
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bunch Thai basil, coarsely chopped
- 4 Thai chiles, seeded, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced
- 18 Florida orange slices, if desired
- 9 stalks lemongrass, cut in half, if desired
- 18 dill sprigs, if desired
- 6 salt bricks*
- Lay shrimp on their back; score the shell between the fins with a paring knife. Combine remaining ingredients and place in a zipper-sealed plastic bag. Add shrimp to orange juice mixture; seal tightly and refrigerate overnight. Place salt bricks on rack in oven. Preheat oven to 350° F. Remove shrimp from orange juice mixture. Place shrimp on salt brick and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until done, turning over while cooking. Note: Salt bricks will become very hot; handle very carefully.
- Serving Suggestion: Remove head from shrimp. Place orange slices on serving plates. Cut lemon grass stalks in half; skewer cooked shrimp with lemon grass. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.
- *Salt bricks can be purchased online.