It may seem like there’s nothing you can do about stress. The bills won’t stop coming, there will never be more hours in the day, and your work and family responsibilities will always be demanding. We rarely get a break long enough to relax and relieve the stress. The over-activation of our stress hormones have been linked to high blood pressure, heart attacks, lower immunity, depression, anxiety, and more. But you have a lot more control over your daily plights than you might think. The simple realization that you’re in control of your life is the foundation of managing stress.
Stress management focuses on taking charge: of your lifestyle, thoughts, emotions, and the way you deal with problems. No matter how stressful your life seems, there are steps you can take to relieve the pressure and regain control. Knowing that you have control also means there are several things you can do on your own to manage that stress. Here are some tips to help you:
- Eat Healthy (Start By Joining The Grapefruit Juice Diet!)
- Sleep/Get Rest
- Be Present and Slow Down. When you spend time in the moment and focus on your senses, you should feel less tense.
- Meditate. A few minutes of practice per day can help ease anxiety.
- Reach Out/Talk. Talk to others — preferably face to face, or at least on the phone.
- Exercise! Walk, Run, or Dance!
- Listen To Music
- Get A Massage
- Take a Break from life. Go see a movie by yourself, get your hair done, or go on a shopping spree. Some just “you” time!
- Make a List
- Play with a kitten or puppy!