Mornings are not always easy and getting a decent breakfast in can be downright difficult. Of course, now with school back in session as well, parents are going in way too many directions first thing in the morning, making breakfast a hassle with kids who may not want to eat it.
But a good breakfast is, as we all know, very important. A nutritious breakfast gets the kids off on the right foot every day and numerous studies have shown that it directly impacts their school performance. So here are 5 ideas for easy, fun breakfasts that are sure to have the kids heading off to school happy and full. Add a glass of Indian River Select 100% Orange Juice for a perfect morning!
English-Muffin Egg Pizzas
- 4 English muffins
- olive oil
- tomato slices
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- grated mozzarella
- kosher salt
- Make Hard-Cooked Eggs.
- Toast 8 English-muffin halves and place on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle each with olive oil, then layer on tomato slices, hard-cooked egg slices (1/2 an egg each), and a little grated mozzarella. Sprinkle with oregano and kosher salt.
- Broil 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Yogurt and Granola Parfait
- 1/4 cup granola
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Place the granola in the bottom of a parfait glass or dish.
- Spoon the yogurt on top. Drizzle with syrup.
Easy Chocolate Croissants
- 1 8-count tube refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Unroll the dough and separate it into 8 triangles. Place about 10 chocolate chips on the bottom third of each triangle and roll the dough up around the chocolate.
- Transfer the croissants to a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper, if desired, for easier cleanup). Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Egg, Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Puzzle Sandwich
Go ahead, play with your food! Young kids will love this breakfast sandwich puzzle! All it takes is a few minutes & a cookie cutter to create a healthy and delicious breakfast! This easy egg sandwich is packed with high-quality protein to keep your kids full and sharp until lunchtime!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 to 75 seconds
Servings: 1 serving
- 1 EGG, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 2 Tbsp. fully-cooked breakfast sausage crumbles or 1 fully-cooked breakfast sausage link or patty, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 thin flatbread or tortilla
- BEAT egg and milk in 2-cup cereal bowl until blended. ADD sausage.
- MICROWAVE on HIGH 30 seconds; push cooked edges toward center. MICROWAVE until egg is almost set, about 15 to 45 seconds longer.
- TOP with cheese. PLACE on flatbread and fold over. CUT out center of sandwich, using a 2 to 2-1/2-inch cookie cutter. CUT remaining sandwich into 4 or 5 pieces. Solve the puzzle and enjoy!
Don’t overcook. Eggs will continue to cook and firm up after removed from microwave. Microwave ovens vary. Cook time may need to be adjusted.
Microwave 3-Minute Breakfast Hash
Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Servings: 1 serving
- 1/2 cup frozen potatoes O’Brien or shredded hash browns
- 1 EGG
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Ketchup or BBQ sauce (optional)
- COAT 8-oz. microwave-safe ramekin or small cereal bowl with cooking spray. ADD potatoes; MICROWAVE on HIGH 1 minute until hot. SEASON with salt and pepper, if desired. BREAK egg into bowl. BEAT egg with fork until blended.
- MICROWAVE on HIGH 30 seconds; stir. MICROWAVE until egg is almost set, about 15 to 30 seconds longer.
- TOP with cheese. SERVE with ketchup or BBQ sauce, if desired.
Now there’s no excuse for not eating breakfast!
Recipes and photo from www.RealSimple.com
Written by: Tricia Doane, FizzNiche Staff Writer