Be inspired for dinner tonight and create a seaside meal with a simple orange salad, that doubles as a revitalizing, low calorie meal. Scallops while a delicate protein is not only for formal dining, but a healthy option that goes very well with the flavor of orange. We found this fabulous recipe at Kitchenwindow.net. Take care not to overcook the scallops, as they go quickly from perfectly tender to tough and chewy.
- Red onion, 1/2, thinly sliced
- Rice vinegar, 4 tsp
- 3 Oranges
- Capers, 1 Tbsp drained and rinsed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 2 Tbsp
- Sea scallops, 1 lb (500 g), 1-1/2 - 2 inches (4 - 5 cm) in diameter
- Salt, 1/4 tsp
- Freshly ground pepper, 1/4 tsp, plus more to taste
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley or mint, 2 Tbsp chopped
- Put onion slices in a colander and rinse well under cold running water. Drain thoroughly, then transfer to a small bowl and stir in rice vinegar. Set aside.
- Remove 1 teaspoon finely grated zest from 1 orange; set zest aside. Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice off both ends of each orange, then cut away peel and bitter white pith, following the fruit’s curve. Cut oranges in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise into thin half-moons. In a bowl, combine orange slices with reserved zest, capers, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides and opaque in center, 4 - 5 minutes total.
- Add onion (with vinegar), parsley, and a few grindings of pepper to orange mixture and toss gently to combine. Divide orange salad among 4 dinner plates and top with warm scallops, dividing them evenly. Serve right away.
Extremely lean source of protein Excellent source of vitamin B12, an important nutrient for heart health Good source of selenium, an antioxidant that may protect against cancer Per Serving: 190 calories, 15 g protein, 17 g carbs, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 660 mg sodium