Starting a walking routine is one of the best lifestyle choices you can make because it’s one of the most rewarding lifelong activities you can choose. The benefits begin with your first step. As soon as leg muscles start to demand more oxygen, your body, mind and spirit improve and excite instantly! And let’s not forget, you can do this ANYWHERE!
- Drink plenty of water before hand, and grab some for the trip.
- Ensure you are wearing appropriate footwear as walking puts a bit of pressure on your feet which can cause pain. Also, be sure you are wearing the correct footwear for the weather.
- Make a playlist or bring some music to listen to.
- Start Your Timer.
- Exit your location.
- Walk at your normal pace wherever you are located for 10 minutes.
- Now turn around and head back to the start.
- Your heart rate should be increased at this point and ready for a little push.
- Walk the 10 minutes back at a “hurry-up” pace. A “hurry up” is when you are late for an appointment and you must get there … GO!
WATCH your posture. Walk tall. Think of elongating your body. Hold your head up and eyes forward. Your shoulders should be down, back and relaxed. Tighten your abdominal muscles and buttocks and fall into a natural stride.
The toughest thing about starting a fitness program is developing a habit. Walking daily will help and setting a weekly goal of at least 5 days. You should walk fast enough to elevate your heart rate, but still easily manage to carry on a conversation.
The foundation for a fit body has been studied and proven. Aim for five 30-minute exercise sessions each week and eventually set a goal for an 18 minute mile after a few weeks, and then set 2 miles as your goal with any time period. These are realistic goals for your health and achievable for anyone! It will give you a strong basis for low risk of disease and high human performance.