It’s here, sneaking up on all of us every year. Cold and Flu season. Sometimes we feel helpless against it’s prowess, but fear not, we have some help to get you through the season in all natural and healthy ways. According to Kim Galeaz, RD, CD, and contributor to 4 Weeks to Maximum Immunity, the secret to a strong immune system may be in your refrigerator and pantry. For overall health and to help the body defend itself against disease, Kim recommends simple lifestyle changes including regular sleep and exercise and most importantly, a nutrient-rich diet packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Vitamin C is one of the most important antioxidants to help the immune system neutralize free radicals and fight cell and tissue damage that can lead to disease. An 8-ounce glass of Indian River Select® Brand Premium Orange Juice provides more than a day’s recommended Daily Value of vitamin C.
- Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that promotes healthy vision and helps to prevent infections. Choose dark green, yellow and orange fruits and vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach and broccoli for vitamin A.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant that assists immune function by protecting essential fatty acids and cell membranes in the body. Vegetable oils, nuts and sunflower seeds are good sources of this nutrient.
- Zinc helps promote healing, tissue growth and repair. Zinc can be found in lean beef and pork, seafood, whole grains and nuts.
- Potassium plays an important role in cardiovascular health, and a diet high in potassium and low in sodium may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke. Look to foods like fresh citrus and other fruit, fish and vegetables for potassium.
- Magnesium may help regulate blood pressure and contribute to bone health. Plus it helps your body generate energy and is required for the action of more than 300 enzyme systems in your body. Eat more foods like nuts, spinach, and beans to increase your magnesium intake.
- Folate is needed to help make the new cells that are essential for a healthy immune system. Folate can be found in whole grains, lentils, 100 percent orange juice and spinach.
- Vitamin B6 supports a healthy immune system because it is needed to create antibodies which fight infection. Load up on fish, chicken, lean pork and whole grains for the most vitamin B6.
- Flavonoids are substances found in plant foods such as citrus fruits and juices. Many have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that research suggests may help in the fight against cancer, heart disease and other serious health problems.
For more information, please contact Katherine Riemer at firstname.lastname@example.org.